UPDATE: COVID-19 Campus Mitigation Plan / Students in credit-bearing experiential learning placements
The A Center strongly encourages Undeclared/No Major Selected students, and students in all majors to complete and internship while they are undergraduates.
An internship is a structured work experience designed to give students the opportunity to experience a work setting in real time. It is an excellent way to prepare for career goals and/or graduate school plans. The training practice and hands-on experience provides an edge in the job market or the graduate school application process.
The primary goal of an internship is to give students an opportunity to apply lessons learned in the classroom to a real-world experience set in a professional practice oriented environment, with the intern’s work preferably overseen by a professional. In addition to offering students the opportunity to demonstrate and develop their technical skills, it allows students to develop professional skills such as teamwork, effective communication, social interaction and professional networking, an understanding of business procedures, leadership, and critical thinking. Finally, it should provide students with work experience within a semi-formal academic framework that carries with it official course credit from The University of Arizona.
Earning Credit for your Internship
TLS 393 and TLS 493 are upper division courses designed to provide academic credit at the time a student is engaged in an internship. The courses are open to all undergraduate majors. These units may be either elective credits or credits that apply to a major or minor. Students must confirm with their major academic advisor how these credits can apply to their program of study.
NOTE: The University does not allow granting credit after the fact, i.e., a student must be enrolled in the course during the time they are working at their internship.
Steps to Apply for the TLS 393/493 Internship Course
- Secure an internship position and confirm who your on-site supervisor will be.
- Complete the online Internship Information Session.
- Download and complete the TLS 393/493 Internship application forms, which are accessible via completion of the Internship Information Session.
- Once the application forms are completed, scan them and attach them to an email and send them to the Internship Coordinator at: email@example.com
- NOTE: There is a REQUIRED Risk/Release form as a part of the application. A handwritten signature is required on the Risk/Release form. Using a scanning app for your smartphone or tablet works well for this purpose.