The A Center Offers Thematic Minors
All students at the University of Arizona have the option of declaring a thematic minor. Thematic minors are developed around a broad theme, using courses from two or more academic disciplines.
There are two thematic minors students can add or declare by working with advisors in The A Center:
The Pre-Health Thematic Minor is designed to support the academic goals of students planning to become health professionals and who choose a non-science major. Most non-science majors require a minor as part of the degree program and the Pre-Health Minor allows you to include your required sciences as well as more advanced study in the sciences as part of your degree. The minor is comprised of:
- Core courses
- Elective, upper-division sciences (300-400 level)
The core courses are required and are:
- First semester Organic Chemistry (CHEM 241A & 243A, which requires completion of general chemistry)
- Second semester Physics (PHYS 103 & 182 which requires completion of PHYS 102 & 182)
- Biochemistry (BIOC 384 or 385)
The remainder of the minor must include upper division science course work totaling 7 units. The following courses are approved for inclusion in the Pre-Health Thematic Minor:
- ACBS 312, ACBS 419, ACBS 420, ACBS 423, ACBS 432, ACBS 438, ECOL 320, ECOL 326, ECOL 379, ECOL 409, ECOL 432, ECOL 437, MCB 301, MCB 302, MCB 304, MCB 305, MCB 340, MCB 404, MCB 410, MCB 411, MCB 422, MCB 433, MCB 455, MCB 470, MIC 340, MIC 419, MIC 420, MIC 433, MIC 438, PCOL 423, PLS 312, PLS 333, PLS 340, PSIO 380
Substitutions may be approved by the Pre-Health Advisors to support the requirements for your health career.
The Pre-Health Thematic Minor Academic Program Requirements Report, with specific requirements, can be found in the Catalog; select the link for Undergraduate Majors, Minors, or Certificates Academic Advising Reports and expand section "P" to find the PDF for Pre-Health Thematic - Minor.
If you would like to add the Pre-Health Thematic Minor, please make an appointment with a pre-health advisor.
The Pre-Law Thematic Minor is designed to prepare you for a career in law. You will have the opportunity to research topics, analyze information, and think critically. These courses are not mandatory for law school admission but are recommended if you do not have a strong interest in another minor area.
The Pre-Law Thematic Minor (PLW) requires 18 units; 12 of these units must be upper division (300-400 level). A 2.00 grade point average (GPA) is required for all university credit work in the minor.
The Pre-Law Thematic Minor Academic Program Requirements Report, with specific requirements, can be found in the Catalog; select the link for Undergraduate Majors, Minors, or Certificates Academic Advising Reports and expand section "P" to find the PDF for Pre-Law Thematic - Minor.
The courses listed below cannot be used to meet any of the graduation requirements for any thematic minors.
- first-year English composition courses
- math courses below the level of Calculus 1
- activity courses (e.g., physical education, fitness, exercise)
- military or naval science, and military aerospace studies in physical fitness, physical competitions, ROTC camps and laboratories (i.e., courses not approved for the Military Science & Leadership Minor may not apply to other minors)
- in most cases, first-year courses in foreign language and American Sign Language that are also used to satisfy the second language requirement in General Education
- all Tier One courses, per General Education policy